David Herbert Lawrence: Lady Chatterley kedvese/Lady Chatterley’s Lover

lady-chatterleyThe story of Constance Chatterley’s sexual awakening through her affair with Mellors the gamekeeper has remained one of the most controversial novels of the twentieth century. Frustrated and ensnared by her marriage to Clifford Chatterley, an invalid, Constance is deeply unhappy and unfulfilled. Her relationship with Mellors rekindles her sexual feeling sand brings her back to life. She decides, however, to leave England to live with her sister Hilda and, though pregnant, she finds her own form of personal freedom.


Clifford Chatterley és Constantia Reid egy hónapja házasok, amikor a férj visszakerül a frontra, ahonnan rokkantan, két lábára bénán és a szerelemre örökre képtelenül szállítják haza. Constance, a felesége huszonhárom éves, Clifford huszonkilenc. Clifford sebzett vad, de Connie szenvedélyesen ragaszkodik hozzá.

Cliffordban nagy az élni akarás vágya. Életben marad: testének diribdarabjai összeforrnak. Két évet tölt kórházban, akkor gyógyultnak nyilvánítják, s visszatérhet az életbe, de testének alsó fele, csípőtől, mindörökre béna marad.

Excerpt from the book:

„Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically. The cataclysm has happened, we are among the ruins, we start to build up new little habitats, to have new little hopes. It is rather hard work: there is now no smooth road into the future: but we go round, or scramble over the obstacles. We’ve got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen.
This was more or less Constance Chatterley’s position. The war had brought the roof down over her head. And she had realized that one must live and learn.
She married Clifford Chatterley in 1917, when he was home for a month on leave. They had a month’s honeymoon. Then he went back to Flanders: to be shipped over to England again six months later, more or less in bits. Constance, his wife, was then twenty-three years old, and he was twenty-nine.
His hold on life was marvellous. He didn’t die, and the bits seemed to grow together again. For two years he remained in the doctor’s hands. Then he was pronounced a cure, and could return to life again, with the lower half of his body, from the hips down, paralysed for ever.”